30 Lessons before turning 30
Holy schmozzle, I'm 30!
The last couple of years have zoomed by super fast and I'm not gonna lie, the year of being 29 was fraught with anxiety over turning 30. I kept thinking about all the things I had done, all the things I had hoped I would have accomplished by now and all the things yet to come. So I thought to celebrate, I would put together a list of the 30 things I have learnt before 30. Initially, I didn't think I would be able to come up with a whole 30, but turns out, once I got started, it was pretty easy for them to keep rolling.
So here we go...
1. I reserve the right to change my mind as many times as I like about whatever I want.
2. My age does not define me.
3. My gender does not define me.
4. Some people don't or won't like me, and as the saying goes "You can be the ripest, most juiciest peach and there will still be some people who don't like peaches".
5. Don't date boys in high school. In fact, don't even bother liking boys in high school.
6. Spend money on experiences, not stuff.
7. People will only treat you as poorly as you allow them to.
8. Have the courage to be who you are. But it's ok if it takes you a while to figure out who that is.
9. Don't buy, wear or do things just because everyone else is. The 'cool table' is whichever one you're at.
10. You will go everywhere to find that the best place is back home.
11. Don't compete with others- compete with old versions of yourself.
12. Don't get mad or get even- get over it!
13. Sometimes it's best not to try to prove your point or to avoid being 'in trouble' but instead to honestly say "I'm sorry". The truth has gotten me out of more bad situations than a lie.
14. It's ok for grown-ups to like Harry Potter.
15. There's no such thing as "I don't have time". You have time for whatever you make a priority. We have the same 24 hours in a day as Beyonce'.
16. The best way to get over a break up is to decide to #liveyourbestlife
17. If someone's not treating you well, they probably don't like you that much and they probably don't like themselves either.
18. God loves me.
19. Investing in quality time with family- especially parents and grandparents is important. They won't be around forever.
20. When someone tells you who they are, believe them.
21. Depression doesn't mean that you are weak- the fact that you get out of bed each morning means that you are stronger than most.
22. It's ok to not have it all together all of the time. Most people don't.
23. I'm not 'most people'.
24. To go places you have never been, you have to do things you've never done. For a perfectionist afraid of failure, this is a daunting task.
25. Shit happens.
26. Cleaning is actually 'fun'.
27. If it's not a 'hell yes', it's a 'hell no'. Stop doing things you don't want to do because someone else wants or expects you to.
28. 'The Outsiders' is one of the best books ever written.
29. Stop waiting for life to 'start'. You are already living it.
30. I"M OK WITH BEING 30!